10/100BASE Fast Ethernet MAC Controller
10/100BASE Local CPU Bus Fast Ethernet MAC Controller
with Embedded SRAM, SNI interface and Parallel Port
Document No.: AX196-14 / V1.4 / Nov. 21 ’00
• IEEE 802.3u 100BASE-T, TX, and T4 Compatible
• Single chip local CPU bus 10/100Mbps Fast
Ethernet MAC Controller
• Embedded 8K * 16 bit SRAM
• NE2000 register level compatible instruction
• Support both 8 bit and 16 bit local CPU interfaces
include MCS-51 series, 80186 series and MC68K
• Support both 10Mbps and 100Mbps data rate
• Support both full-duplex or half-duplex operation
• Provides a MII port for both 10/100Mbps operation
• Provides SNI I/F for Home LAN PHY or 10M
• Support EEPROM interface to store MAC address
• External and internal loop-back capability
• Support Standard Print Port, can also used as
general I/O port
• 128-pin LQFP low profile package
• 20MHz to 25MHz Operation, Dual 5V and 3.3V
CMOS process with 5V I/O tolerance. Or pure 3.3V
*IEEE is a registered trademark of the Institute of
Electrical and Electronic Engineers, Inc.
*All other trademarks and registered trademark are the
property of their respective holders.
The AX88196 Fast Ethernet Controller is a high performance and highly integrated local CPU bus Ethernet
Controller with embedded 8K*16 bit SRAM. The AX88196 supports both 8 bit and 16 bit local CPU interfaces
include MCS-51 series, 80186 series, MC68K series CPU and ISA bus. The AX88196 implements both 10Mbps and
100Mbps Ethernet function based on IEEE802.3 / IEEE802.3u LAN standard and supports both 10Mbps/100Mbps
media-independent interface (MII) and legacy pure 10Mbps SNI interface to simplify the design. Using Serial
Network Interface (SNI) transceiver, Home LAN PHY or 10BASE-2 BNC type media can be supported.
As well as, the chip also provides Standard Print Port (parallel port interface), can be used for printer server device or
treat as simple general I/O port.
System Block Diagram
Or General I/O Ports
Always contact ASIX for possible updates before starting a design.
This data sheet contains new products information. ASIX ELECTRONICS reserves the rights to modify product specification without notice. No liability
is assumed as a result of the use of this product. No rights under any patent accompany the sale of the product.
ASIX ELECTRONICS CORPORATION
First Released Date : Dec/13/1999
2F, NO.13, Industry East Rd. II, Science-based Industrial Park, Hsin-Chu City, Taiwan, R.O.C.