Precision S-Video Filter with Summed Composite
Output, Sound Trap, and Group Delay Compensation
• 7.6MHz 5th order Y,C ﬁlters with composite summer
• 14dB notch at 4.425MHz to 4.6MHz for Sound Trap
capable of handling stereo
• 50dB stopband attenuation at 27MHz on Y, C and CV outputs
• Better than 0.5dB ﬂatness to 4.2MHz on Y, C and CV outputs
• Equalizer and notch ﬁlter for driving RF modulator with
group delay of -180ns
• No external frequency selection components or clocks
• < 5ns group delay on Y, C and CV outputs
• AC coupled inputs
• AC or DC coupled outputs
• Capable of PAL frequency for Y,C,CV
• Continuous Time Low Pass Filters
• < 1.4% differential gain with 0.7° differential phase
on Y, C and CV channels
• Integrated DC Restore circuitry with low tilt
• Cable set top boxes
• Satellite set top boxes
• DVD players
The FMS6406 is a dual Y/C 5th order Butterworth lowpass
video ﬁlter optimized for minimum overshoot and ﬂat group
delay. The device also contains a summing circuit to generate
ﬁltered composite video, an audio trap and group delay com-
pensation circuit. The audio trap removes video information
in the spectral location of the subsequent RF audio carrier.
The group delay circuit predistorts the signal to compensate
for the inherent receiver IF ﬁlter’s group delay distortion.
In a typical application, the Y and C input signals from
DACs are AC coupled into the ﬁlters. Both channels have
DC restore circuitry to clamp the DC input levels during
video sync. The Y and C channels use separate feedback
clamps. The clamp pulse is derived from the Y channel.
All outputs are capable of driving 2Vpp, AC or DC coupled,
into either a single or dual video load. A single video load
consists of a series 75Ω impedance matching resistor con-
nected to a terminated 75Ω line, this presents a total of 150Ω
of loading to the part. A dual load would be two of these in
parallel which would present a total of 75Ω to the part. The
gain of theY, C and CV signals is 6dB with 1Vpp input levels.
All video channels are clamped during sync to establish the
appropriate output voltage reference levels.
Temperature range for all parts: 0°C to +70°C.
Contact your local Fairchild Semiconductor
distributor for additional product information
Tape and Reel
FAIRCHILD SEMICONDUCTOR RESERVES THE RIGHT TO MAKE CHANGES WITHOUT FURTHER NOTICES TO ANY PRODUCTS HEREIN TO IMPROVE RELIABILITY, FUNCTION
OR DESIGN. FAIRCHILD DOES NOT ASSUME ANY LIABILITY ARISING OUT OF THE APPLICATION OR USE OF ANY PRODUCT OR CIRCUIT DESCRIBED HEREIN; NEITHER DOES
IT CONVEY ANY LICENSE UNDER ITS PATENT RIGHTS, NOR THE RIGHTS OF OTHERS.
LIFE SUPPORT POLICY
FAIRCHILD’S PRODUCTS ARE NOT AUTHORIZED FOR USE AS CRITICAL COMPONENTS IN LIFE SUPPORT DEVICES OR SYSTEMS WITHOUT THE EXPRESS WRITTEN
APPROVAL OF THE PRESIDENT OF FAIRCHILD SEMICONDUCTOR CORPORATION. As used herein:
1. Life support devices or systems are devices or systems which, (a) are intended for
surgical implant into the body, or (b) support or sustain life, and (c) whose failure to per
form when properly used in accordance with instructions for use provided in the labeling,
can be reasonably expected to result in a signiﬁcant injury of the user.
2. A critical component in any component of a life support device or system whose failure
to perform can be reasonably expected to cause the failure of the life support device or
system, or to affect its safety or effectiveness.
© 2004 Fairchild Semiconductor Corporation