SMBus Level 2 Battery Charger
The ISL88731 is a highly integrated Lithium-ion battery charger
controller, programmable over the SMBus system management
bus (SMBus). The ISL88731 is intended to be used in a smart
battery charger (SBC) within a smart battery system (SBS) that
throttles the charge power such that the current from the
AC-adapter is automatically limited. High efficiency is achieved
with a DC/DC synchronous-rectifier buck converter, equipped
with diode emulation for enhanced light load efficiency and
system bus boosting prevention. The ISL88731 charges one to
four Lithium-ion series cells, and delivers up to 8A charge
current. Integrated MOSFET drivers and bootstrap diode result
in fewer components and smaller implementation area. Low
offset current-sense amplifiers provide high accuracy with
10mΩ sense resistors. The ISL88731 provides 0.5%
end-of-charge battery voltage accuracy.
The ISL88731 provides a digital output that indicates the
presence of the AC adapter as well as an analog output which
indicates the adapter current within 4% accuracy.
The ISL88731 is available in a small 5mmx5mm 28 Ld Thin
(0.8mm) QFN package. An evaluation kit is available to reduce
design time. The ISL88731 is available in Pb-Free packages.
(28 LD TQFN)
• 0.5% Battery Voltage Accuracy
• 3% Adapter Current Limit Accuracy
• 3% Charge Current Accuracy
• SMBus 2-Wire Serial Interface
• Battery Short Circuit Protection
• Fast Response for Pulse-Charging
• Fast System-Load Transient Response
• Monitor Outputs
- Adapter Current (3% Accuracy)
- AC-Adapter Detection
• 11-Bit Battery Voltage Setting
• 6 Bit Charge Current/Adapter Current Setting
• 8A Maximum Battery Charger Current
• 11A Maximum Adapter Current
• +8V to +28V Adapter Voltage Range
• Pb-Free (RoHS Compliant)
• Notebook Computers
• Tablet PCs
• Portable Equipment with Rechargeable Batteries
28 27 26 25 24 23 22
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
(Notes 1, 2, 3)
ISL88731HRZ ISL887 31HRZ -10 to +100 28 Ld 5x5 TQFN L28.5x5B
1. Add “-T*” suffix for tape and reel. Please refer to TB347 for details on reel
2. These Intersil Pb-free plastic packaged products employ special Pb-free
material sets, molding compounds/die attach materials, and 100%
matte tin plate plus anneal (e3 termination finish, which is RoHS
compliant and compatible with both SnPb and Pb-free soldering
operations). Intersil Pb-free products are MSL classified at Pb-free peak
reflow temperatures that meet or exceed the Pb-free requirements of
IPC/JEDEC J STD-020.
3. For Moisture Sensitivity Level (MSL), please see device information page
for ISL88731. For more information on MSL please see techbrief TB363.
June 8, 2011
1 CAUTION: These devices are sensitive to electrostatic discharge; follow proper IC Handling Procedures.
1-888-INTERSIL or 1-888-468-3774 |Copyright Intersil Americas Inc. 2006, 2009, 2011. All Rights Reserved
Intersil (and design) is a trademark owned by Intersil Corporation or one of its subsidiaries.
All other trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners.