March 9, 2006
6-Phase VR11 PWM Controller with 8-Bit
VID Code Capable of Precision RDS(ON) or
DCR Differential Current Sensing for
Applications in Which Supply Voltage is
Higher than 5V
The ISL6307B controls microprocessor core voltage
regulation by driving up to 6 synchronous-rectified buck
channels in parallel. Multiphase buck converter architecture
uses interleaved timing to multiply channel ripple frequency
and reduce input and output ripple currents. Lower ripple
results in fewer components, lower component cost, reduced
power dissipation, and smaller implementation area.
Microprocessor loads can generate load transients with
extremely fast edge rates. The ISL6307B features a high
bandwidth control loop and ripple frequencies up to 6MHz to
provide optimal response to the transients.
Today’s microprocessors require a tightly regulated output
voltage position versus load current (droop). The ISL6307B
senses current by utilizing patented techniques to measure
the voltage across the on resistance, RDS(ON), of the lower
MOSFETs or DCR, of the output inductor during the lower
MOSFET conduction intervals. Current sensing provides the
needed signals for precision droop, channel-current
balancing, and overcurrent protection. A programmable
internal temperature compensation function is implemented
to effectively compensate for the temperature coefficient of
the current sense element.
A unity gain, differential amplifier is provided for remote
voltage sensing. Any potential difference between remote
and local grounds can be completely eliminated using the
remote-sense amplifier. Eliminating ground differences
improves regulation and protection accuracy. The threshold-
sensitive enable input is available to accurately coordinate
the start up of the ISL6307B with any other voltage rail.
Dynamic-VID™ technology allows seamless on-the-fly VID
changes. The offset pin allows accurate voltage offset
settings that are independent of VID setting.
ISL6307BCRZ (Note) 0 to 70 48 Ld 7x7 QFN (Pb-free) L48.7x7
ISL6307BIRZ (Note) -40 to 85 48 Ld 7x7 QFN (Pb-free) L48.7x7
Add “-T” suffix for tape and reel.
NOTE: Intersil Pb-free plus anneal products employ special Pb-free
material sets; molding compounds/die attach materials and 100% matte
tin plate termination finish, which are RoHS compliant and compatible
with both SnPb and Pb-free soldering operations. Intersil Pb-free
products are MSL classified at Pb-free peak reflow temperatures that
meet or exceed the Pb-free requirements of IPC/JEDEC J STD-020.
• Precision multiphase Core Voltage Regulation
- Differential Remote Voltage Sensing
- ±0.5% System Accuracy Over Life, Load, Line and
- Adjustable Precision Reference-Voltage Offset
• Precision RDS(ON) or DCR Current Sensing
- Accurate Load-Line Programming
- Accurate Channel-Current Balancing
- Differential Current Sense
• Microprocessor Voltage Identification Input
- Dynamic VID™ Technology
- 8-Bit VID Input with Selectable VR11 Code and
Extended VR10 Code at 6.25mV Step
- 0.5V to 1.600V operation range
• Threshold-sensitive Enable Function for Power
Sequencing and VTT Enable
• Thermal Monitoring
• Internal 5V Shunt Regulator
• Programmable Temperature Compensation
• Overcurrent Protection
• Overvoltage Protection with OVP Output Indication
• 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6 Phase Operation
• Adjustable Switching Frequency up to 1MHz Per Phase
• QFN Package Option
- QFN Compliant to JEDEC PUB95 MO-220 QFN - Quad
Flat No Leads - Product Outline
- QFN Near Chip Scale Package Footprint; Improves
PCB Efficiency, Thinner in Profile
• Pb-Free Plus Anneal Available (RoHS Compliant)
CAUTION: These devices are sensitive to electrostatic discharge; follow proper IC Handling Procedures.
1-888-INTERSIL or 1-888-468-3774 | Intersil (and design) is a registered trademark of Intersil Americas Inc.
Dynamic VID™ is a trademark of Intersil Americas Inc. Copyright © Intersil Americas Inc. 2006. All Rights Reserved
All other trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners.