This document contains information that is subject to change without notice. Contact Technical
Publications for latest revision information.
3.3 Volt Laser Driver IC for 155/622 Mbps
The CX02068 is a highly integrated, programmable laser driver intended for Telecom applications up to 622 Mbps.
Using differential PECL data, the CX02068 supplies the bias and modulation current for driving an edge-emitting
laser. The modulation output can be DC-coupled to the laser diode, giving a significant power saving over AC-
The CX02068 includes automatic power control (APC) to maintain a constant average laser output power over
temperature and life. In addition, the modulation current is temperature compensated to minimize variation in
extinction ratio over temperature. Output flags indicate laser end of life as well as failure of the APC circuitry to
maintain average output power.
• Rise and fall times <180 ps
• Operates with +3.3 volt supply
• DC or AC-coupled modulation drive.
• Independently programmable laser bias (to 100 mA) and
modulation currents (to 85 mA).
• Automatic laser power control, with programmable temperature
compensation and ‘Slow-Start’.
• Bias and modulation current monitors
• Failure monitor
• Available in BCC+24 , TQFP32 and DIE packages
• Available in RoHS compliant packages
• OC-3/STM1, SONET/SDH
• OC-12/STM4, SONET/SDH
Functional Block Diagram
Mindspeed Proprietary and Confidential